Ban stair-step bind-offs!

Here are two ways to avoid stair-step bind-offs and I think both are handy tools to know about even if you don’t memorize them because you don’t use them that often. You can apply these techniques to any pattern that calls for sequential bind-offs along the same edge.

These are among those little tricks that the pros use to make things look good and to prevent frustration at the finishing stage. Power to the knitter!

1. The first uses classic Wrap and Turn (W & T) short rows. This is handy when you are at the shoulders of a sweater and want to do a 3-needle bind-off.

2. The second method uses the sloped bind-off, something I learned from the brilliant designer Shirley Paden. This technique is especially good when forming certain crew-neck shapings or a scooped neck.

29 Replies to “Ban stair-step bind-offs!”

1. Have been usin the bond knitting machine, ur videos helped a lot, I now feel like I am somebody , thanks for being hereouida

1. You are so welcome Ouida. Please join my email list if you have not already done so, on my welcome/home page.

2. Brilliant (as British folk would say) !!
    Thanks very much for posting these.

1. Thank you Sandra. I’m on a quest to ban the things everywhere before my expiration date.

3. What a wonderful technique! How does this apply to knitting a sweater in the round?

1. I don’t know Juanita. It depends on the pattern. You just have to apply it as it comes up if you read “Bind off X sts over the next X rows.”

4. Barbara Mathews says:

Instead of doing a wrap and turn, could you use German short rows?

1. Absolutely Barbara. It’s just that back then (25 years ago) I didn’t know that method. The internet has brought so many new skills to us. And I do like the German method, by the way. I’ll be showing it in a video soon but not by itself . . . in the context of where it can be very well used.

5. Karen Wood says:

Cheryl,
    The sloped bindoff instructions are so helpful – thank you! Would you recommend this even when the pattern calls for only a single decrease at the neck edge every other row?

1. Hi Karen,

You can do it there but I probably wouldn’t since I’m pretty successful just using the decreases.

6. Thank you so much!!
    I have been knitting for almost sixty years now and I still learn so many new things from you! Thanks again and again!
    You are a crack! And a very good teacher as well!

7. Sue Rasted says:

Brilliant! Why didn’t I ever think to do that! Thank you for the sloped bind off. Stair steps, NO MORE,YIPEE,

1. You are so welcome Sue. Welcome to the beginning of easy finishing. 😀

8. Sharon LHeureux says:

Thank You soooooo much!! I just love you and all the wonderful tips and tricks you teach us knitters. You explain everything so well and I just love the video demo so there is no guessing the technique of what you are doing. And I have the option of going back to the video if I feel I have forgotten how to do all the steps. My knitting is looking so more professionally done than something that is home made!! When I get an email from you I open yours first cause I can’t wait to see what kind of treasure that you have to share next. Thanks for all your brain knitting knowledge.

1. You are so welcome Sharon and thank you for your this generous comment. xo

9. Hema Ravikumar says:

Finally I’ve understood wrap & turn! Thanks for the clear instructions
    The “sloped bind off” is new to me, but makes a lot of sense. Thanks again

1. You are so welcome Hema. And thank you for taking the time to comment.

10. You are the best teacher ever!!! Love this!!! This video is great, you are sooo appreciated Cheryl!!!! Thank You!! xo

1. You are so welcome and thank you Nancy . . . you are very kind and I appreciate your taking the time to comment. And thanks for the inspiration to take the VIP experience on the road to select parts of the country. 😀

11. Patty Comstock says:

A good teacher always makes it look easy, and you are the best! Thank you!

1. Thank you Patty. It does take time to simplify things. 😀

12. Elizabeth Mulhall says:

Thank you, Cheryl, for sharing the curved neck – as a knitter of many, many years, I was delighted with your video demonstrating this method :-). Doesn’t matter how long one does anything, there is always something to learn. Again, thank you for smashing video.

1. You are so welcome Elizabeth. I learn new things about knitting all the time. That’s one of the things I love about it.

13. Helga Cabanov says:

Thank you. Very good to know. Can this method be done when making aaran sweater with cables etc??

1. Yes. I would probably use the stepped bind off and decrease as I’m binding off above the cables themselves.

14. Karen Ramrakha says:

Thank you, that is really clever and very helpful.
    Cheers, Karen.

1. You are very welcome Karen. Thanks for commenting.

1. Thank you Bev. And you are kind. Thanks for commenting.